It feels like every day a new study comes out to tell us how we should live our lives. These “foolproof” studies declare the newest “magic” food to add years to our lives, or a miracle cure to treat an existing condition. However, like everyone else, you know there will always be a study not too far down the road telling everyone the exact opposite.

However, some studies are blatantly false, and have been scientifically disproven. These 16 “healthy” habits are not only costing you money, but might be harming you in the long run.

1. Using a standing desk

Recent studies found no direct health benefits other than additional calorie loss when using a standing desk.

2. Using hand sanitizer

Norovirus and C. difficile, two common infections, are immune to sanitizing gels. If you really want to have clean hands, simply wash them throughout the day.

3. Avoiding microwaves

Microwaves actually do a better job keeping vitamins within the food than ovens.

4. Drinking almond milk

Yes, almond milk contains more protein than regular milk. However, it contains only 2% of the daily protein requirements while having none of the same vitamins as regular milk.

5. Juicing

Fiber in fruits is entirely removed during juicing. This leaves you with only the sugar, negating any benefit.

6. Holding your breath after someone sneezes

A sneeze can travel up to 200 miles per hour. That means it’s already hit your eyes, mouth, or nose.

7. Eating egg whites

Dietary cholesterol from foods you eat every day has little to no impact on your blood cholesterol — unless you have a heart condition.

8. Ear candling

Despite the rumors, this doesn’t relieve earwax or treat infections. It can actually push earwax deeper into your ears.

9. Avoiding MSG

MSG is completely safe. The odd feelings you have at the base of your neck or elsewhere are likely simply from eating too much food in general.

10. Using toilet seat liners

Viruses can’t survive in the open air for long. When you sit down on a public toilet seat, they’re already dead. Even if they weren’t, they’d die long before they could infect you.

11. Eating several vitamins

Although roughly 50% of Americans take vitamins every day, no study backs up the benefit of doing so, even after decades of research.

12. Detoxing

Your kidneys and liver are far more powerful than any diet-based system you can contrive. Put away the cleanse diets and learn to eat better.

13. Staying away from gluten

Only ~1% of the population suffers from celiac disease (a disease making them sensitive to gluten). For the other 99% of the population, there is no confirmed evidence that gluten has a negative impact.

14. Using a recumbent bike

Unless your back needs surgery, these are wholly unnecessary when compared to a normal bike.

15. Taking too much Vitamin C

Anything over 2,000 milligrams a day will likely cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, headaches, and other side effects.

16. Eating only low-fat foods

After an eight-year study of 50,000 women, those eating more low-fat diets showed no lower risk of breast cancer, colorectal cancer, or heart disease, and lost no more weight.

How do you feel now? Personally, I have to rethink a lot of habits and behaviors I’ve started to cling to as an adult. I especially need to lay off all that almond milk.

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Related Posts